Behind the Scenes of Streetcar

Vivien Leigh and Marlon Brando taking a break from filming A Streetcar Named Desire
In honor of Sotheby's upcoming auction of more than 200 personal items from Vivien Leigh's estate in September in London, I thought I'd do a series of Vivien Leigh-focused posts over the next couple weeks. I must confess I don't know as much as I'd like to about her, so I've ordered a biography about her on Amazon which I intend to read shortly. Though she's most well-known for her role in Gone With The Wind, my personal favorite of her's is her role as the doomed Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire. Interestingly enough, the wig she wore for the role is part of the Sotheby's auction, which you can read about HERE. I'll definitely be getting myself a copy of the auction catalog.

As a lover of Tennessee Williams and his most famous play, I equally love the film version of A Streetcar Named Desire and especially Leigh and Brando's roles in it. For her work, Vivien won her second Academy Award for Best Actress, the first, not surprisingly, being for Gone With The Wind. Below are some behind-the-scenes pictures of the film, which I'd definitely recommend to those who haven't seen it.

Vivien Leigh as Blanche wardrobe test. 

Mending Blanche's costume. 

Leigh, Brando and costar Kim Hunter, who portrayed Blanche's sister and Stanley's wife, Stella.

Kim Hunter, Vivien Leigh and directer Elia Kazan. 

Kazan, Brando and Leigh. 

Brando and Leigh in-between filming. 

Brando, Leigh and Kazan sipping something. 

Kazan directing a scene between Leigh and Hunter. 

An interesting side-note to end with: Marlon Brando was a method actor, which often made it difficult for others to get-along with him on set, particularly Vivien Leigh, who was classically trained. However, Elia Kazan encouraged this kind of clashing, since it only made their onscreen chemistry even more real and volatile.

According to Leigh, filming Streetcar had “tipped [her] over into madness.

Comments


  1. how i heal from broken heart when my husband left me and the kids I read some reviews about a great traditional healer and a powerful spell caster from africa called Dr okeke how he has been using his spell to rebuild any broken marriage or relationship with couples.and even bringing back there ex within 48hours i was just thinking if that was real, because i wanted to contact him to help me get back my ex so one day i decided to message a lady who made a review, and ask her about DR okeke she said okeke is a trustworthy man that him will do anything you ask from him, i was just so happy and a little bit relief that my lover will be back to me soon,Then i decided in contacting D r okeke which i did, he said everything will be okay within 48hours that my lover will be back to my arms, so he said he would be casting the spell and that within 48hours my lover would call me, so i hoped so truly before the 48hours, i got a call from a man who has left me for the past 9 months saying he is sorry and he wants me back, i was happy and i said i also want him back, i traveled to UK to meet him up, and he apologized for what he has done to me now he proposed to marry me and we are both preparing for our wedding soon, All thanks to the great and World best spell caster, Dr Okeke His private mail writelovespell@gmail.com or WhatsApp number +2348140443360

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr.IYAYA for his marvelous work in my life, I was suffering from Herpes since 2010 and I was taking my medications and i wasn't satisfied i needed to get the Herpes out of my body, I searched for some possible cure for Herpes and I saw a comment about Dr. IYAYA, how he cured a woman with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. Please contact him for help iyayasolutionhome@gmail.com website //driyayasolutionherbalhome.WordPress.com
    TYPES OF CURES
    Eczema
    HSV1&2
    LASER FIVER
    KIDNEY DISEASE
    HEART DISEASE
    DIABETES
    CANCER
    GONORRHEA
    STD
    HIV/AID
    HERBAL REMEDY FOR PREGNANCY iyayasolutionhome@gmail.com WhatsApp +2202057028

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cleanliness Next To Godliness: Joan Crawford's Obsession

The Times Nero Tried To Kill His Mother (And The One Time He Succeeded)

Polly Delano, FDR's Eccentric Cousin